FREE Spanish Youth FilmsInstituto Cervantes de Manila dwells on issues that are relevant to the youth by offering FREE Spanish Youth Films screenings dubbed as “Portraits of Youth.” The film cycle will showcase a total of 8 movies. Two films will be featured every Saturday, 4PM and 6PM within the whole month of May 2011.
Laberinto de pasiones (Labyrinth of Passion)
- The film is a camp melodrama/comedy that depicts Madrid in the 80s. The story revolves around a nymphomaniac and a son of an arab emperor. The girl is a member of a violent musical group while the boy is more preoccupied of cosmetics and of men more than anything else. It is a different love story with all the difficulties that love entails, with music, violence, passion and sex.
- César, an orphan who inherited a huge fortune from his parents, used to live in a luxurious house of his his own where he hosts lavish parties. He is very handsome and a renowned womanizer. He met Sofía and began to feel something he had never felt before: love. Nuria, with whom César had his last affair, was very jealous; she went to pick him up in her car the next morning, and committed suicide by crashing into a wall. César survived the crash, but his face was hideously disfigured, his handsome looks gone and needs to have his face rebuilt by surgery. But the Doctors said they couldn't help him. César found out that the real nightmare had only just began for him.
- A story of two couples who entwined and change partners as they search for happiness and love. Sonia and Javier are a couple for many years. While Paula and Pedro were also couples. But Paula leaves Pedro as she is having an affair with Javier. Pedro tries to find who is the secret lover of Paula. Meanwhile, while comforting Pedro, Sonia has a one night stand with him and Javier thinks she is cheating him.
- Lucía is a young waitress in a restaurant in the centre of Madrid. After the loss of her long-time boyfriend, a writer, she seeks refuge on a quiet, secluded Mediterranean island. There, bathed in an atmosphere of fresh air and dazzling sun, Lucía begins to discover the dark corners of her past relationship, as if they were forbidden passages of a novel which the author now, from afar, allows her to read.
- A young Madrid motorbike messenger and aspiring drummer clashes with the other members of his up-and-coming rock group when a shifty record exec offers them a contract. With fame, drugs and girls being dangled in front of them, the three bandmates will have their artistic integrity challenged and their friendship stretched to its very limits in this edgy coming-of-age drama.
- This movie is about love, life and especially about death. Barcelona buddies Dani, Francisco and Ignacio are hanging out one summer afternoon when Francisco spots an obituary for an old friend of theirs, Alberto. They decide to go and pay their respects, and bump into Dani's ex-g.f. Carmen and Alberto's sister Cristina, whom Dani falls for -- but not before the boys have realized that the dead boy was not the same Alberto that they knew. Dani debates whether or not to tell Cristina that he didn't know her brother, fearing that by doing so he might endanger his chance of a relationship with her.
- Five stories intertwine in a big city neighbourhood. They are five worlds linked by their daily routine, with the bar, the shops and the market as the key places. These people show us their concerns, fears, hopes and dreams. The fear of illness or loneliness felt by Mariano and Conchi, two retired people living in the neighbourhood, the hope and sadness felt by Raquel, a middle-aged woman who experiences love over the Internet, the uncertain future of Cesar and Opo, two young people who work in the local supermarket and who are organising their holiday, or Lolo's discovery that there is another world beyond his bar, thanks to his relationship with Mao, his new cook... all this takes us through life in a working-class neighbourhood with a script full of tenderness, comedy and bitterness.
- Juani and her best friend leave their hometown behind for fun in Madrid. She leaves her boyfriend to do what she couldn’t have done while she was with him. Sick of having to take it all in, she decides to go on with her life and to find success. After all, she’s Juani, and Juani is number one.
- Visit manila.cervantes.es/en to see complete schedule scroll down below
- Go to Instituto Cervantes de Manila, 855 T.M. Kalaw St., 1000 Ermita, Manila (1st come 1st served)
- You may want to call them up to confirm the screening schedule (5261482)
- May 7
- 4:00PM - Laberinto de pasiones (Labyrinth of Passion)
- 6:00PM - Abre los ojos (Open Your Eyes)
- May 14
- 4:00PM - El otro lado de la cama (The Other Side of the Bed)
- 6:00PM - Lucía y el sexo (Sex and Lucia)
- May 21
- 4:00PM - Mensaka
- 6:00PM - Tu vida en ´65 (Your Life in ’65)
- May 28
- 4:00PM - Tapas
- 6:00PM - Yo soy la Juani (My Name is Juani)
Promo Prize: FREE SPANISH YOUTH FILMS for everyone
- It's absolutely FREE